The house at the crossroads of Vrchlického, Husova and Českých bratří, built for the head of the building department of the Jičín District Authority, Ing. Jan Brabec, at first glance differs markedly from the other single-family homes and villas in the immediate vicinity. For the design, Jan Brabec turned to the Jičín building contractor Karel Vorel, who subsequently executed his own plans. There is no equivalent building in Vorel’s catalogue. Perhaps he drew inspiration from another recently completed Jičín villa designed for Theodora, daughter of Božena Němcová, by the architect Dušan Jurkovič (Maršála Koněva 150, HP150). Jan Brabec submitted the completed plans for the new building together with the application for a building permit in October 1911. The building was completed in June 1912.
The detached house had a partial cellar, a raised living area on the ground floor, and built into the attic were two inhabited rooms and a hallway. This layout corresponded to the arrangement of the mansard roof. Illuminating this space was done through a combination of smaller and larger dormers, the latter also with their own mansard roofs. On the south-west corner was a low turret, crowned with a helmet, while above the roof rose relatively tall chimneys capped with terminals. Onto the northern frontage was built a covered entrance staircase, to which was attached a polygonal avant-corps containing a spiral staircase that connected the building’s floors. On the ground floor was situated the actual apartment, from which it was possible to access the garden
The building’s facades were designed to be smooth, free of ornament, with the exception of the two dormer gables, for which minor geometric decorations were designed – today, these are complemented on the main frontage by the inscription “VILLA ELČA”. The sole striking feature was to be the high socle of sandstone blocks and painted wooden shutters. As the building went up, however, the surfaces of the façade were segregated into a combination of rough and smooth render, while the window surrounds were attended by small plant motifs.
The rendered spaces, with their contrasting surfaces and ornamentation, have been preserved, though the shutters were later removed. Despite the later minor modifications, the villa still retains its essential character.